LGBT Pavee Support Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
LGBT Pavee Support Group

A forum for LGBTQ members of the Irish Travelling and Roma Community, those that support there right of expression and wish to construct a way to mediate between the community, culture and sexual identity.Feel free to chat, commune, seek and give advice.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site

Go down 
+2
Hanu Fein
LondonTraveller
6 posters
AuthorMessage
LondonTraveller
G'al
G'al
LondonTraveller

Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site Empty
PostSubject: Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site   Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 2:55 pm

Wot dya reckon

I hope enuff 2 be able to buy some land and live on that i hope in next year,. . Prob in London area. Im minded to see if there was any call for a site for gay travellers only. wot dya think. It wud be a v private site
Back to top Go down
Hanu Fein
Admin
Hanu Fein

PostSubject: Re: Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site   Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 11:02 am

Hey London!

Although I think this is a great idea and would most likely help many LGBT Travellers feel that there is a welcoming and open place for them to live it may however offer up many challenges.

1.Most LGBT Travellers don't really want to be segregated because of there sexuality.
2.Most LGBT Travellers seek equal rights with all orientations, if they were LGBT Traveller only this would be a discrimination towards other orientations.
3.Ultimately we all seek acceptance for who we are, Gay, Straight, Traveller etc so while removing ourselves from the common flow may bring a temporary sanctuary it does not do much to challenge the lack of understanding and the simple fact that although LGBT we are in essence no different and deserve the same treatment.

While working to challenge divisions against the community we also need to address them from within it. This is of course in no way knocking the idea and only a personal opinion – as if you feel a calling to have such a thing then there's obviously a need for it and who knows I might one day myself pitch tent Smile

What does everyone else think?

Hanu Fein
Back to top Go down
https://gaypavee.forumotion.net
LondonTraveller
G'al
G'al
LondonTraveller

PostSubject: Re: Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site   Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 5:18 pm

Hey, thanks for reply

My main wish is for myself. I have a dilemma in that the councils dont no where to put me, irish or english site, so my dream wud be to have me own land and pitch on that and let who i like on it to help with costs so i thought why not gay ppls

I do agree with your ideas. i appreciate that u r lookin for the ultimate goal in that we is accpected in our own community as gay. but i think thats a few yrs in advance from now

so yeh i agree with u but im talking about now and i think that there wud be others like me that wud be willin to move because of their sexualit. i onl hear mainly of gay ppl travellers that live gay life onl when they leave their life and family and history. At least with my way they cud keep a lot of roots

your poiint number 2 is idealistic and i do agree with it., but im talking about now. Not in the future. i face homelessness every day. when u have that, as much as u want for a good world, u tend to think about yer own situ. when i say i face homelsess ness every day im not joking. think about that how wud your every day life be like??

so in summarise it all, i think we r coming from the same place. U for the future of which i agree with u, and me from a position of where we r now. this prob makes no sense and as usual ill prob regret posting all this for all the world 2 see LOL
Back to top Go down
Karavan_casey
Sarog
Sarog

PostSubject: Re: Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site   Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 10:37 am

London Trraveller I totally get what your saying but I have to say that we do need to keep our eye on the goal as why wait all those years to get there if we can move a bit forward now (ya know?) so I fully believe we should be aiming at a healthy social interrogation and open living. *But* like you I'd like the safety and security of my own place, as although the bigger goals are terrific and deeply important to have and work towards there not always totally practical to our current situation so Id do the same as yourself.
Back to top Go down
The_prince
Sarog
Sarog

PostSubject: Re: Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site   Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 2:21 pm

LondonTraveller wrote:
I have a dilemma in that the councils dont no where to put me, irish or english site,

Where in the pst have you stayed? As that might give you a clue where you feel best Smile as that way you can inform them rather then just waitin!

I like your idea of your own haltin site. wonder what the legal thigns are but if it makes you feel safe and good go for it!
Back to top Go down
LondonTraveller
G'al
G'al
LondonTraveller

PostSubject: Re: Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site   Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 4:06 pm

well ive never stayed on a site, only to visit friends n relatives. so i cant say really. Im happier on the road. both sites near me r shit holes, one for irish which is built on a dump, and one for english which is also on a dump. no one wants to be there, but no one gives up a bay as wots the choice bricks n mortar or on the road Me housing situ is v difficult at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Hanu Fein
Admin
Hanu Fein

PostSubject: Re: Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site   Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 4:20 pm

I can only imagine!

Thankfully Travellers in England have being recognised as an ethnic minority, with legal rights to the protection and ensured progression of cultural identity – sadly that doesn't always manifest itself in a well meaning way with many under standard abodes, highly limited bays and questionable placements. I'd stick at it mr, as its obvious that partaking in that aspect of our culture is very important to you – sooner or later a place will come available or a road side sanctuary/ lane spot will be found and you can get on with what you were born to do Smile
Back to top Go down
https://gaypavee.forumotion.net
LondonTraveller
G'al
G'al
LondonTraveller

PostSubject: Re: Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site   Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 4:39 pm

well me trailer is stored and im wintering in a flat owned by me family. But ill prob be evicted from here as not sure if im gonna get housing benefit. its already been turned down, now its at appeal. if i have to leave here, the council will offer me a place at the english site where i know nobody or the irish site where all hell as broken out and i dont know anyone, so wots the choice. tuff cos i cant leave me trailer during day as i look 4 work as it will be nicked. i got no relatives on the road that i can travel along
Back to top Go down
LondonTraveller
G'al
G'al
LondonTraveller

PostSubject: Re: Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site   Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site EmptyThu Dec 24, 2009 1:44 pm

i was on a downer last nite when i wrote that, feelin more positive tonite lol ! wot will be will be!
Back to top Go down
The_prince
Sarog
Sarog

PostSubject: Re: Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site   Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site EmptySat Jan 02, 2010 10:22 am

Thought it didnt sound like your usual self alright! id either go to a site with relitives or somewhere that feels safe. if they werent options id try travelling until there was a place suitable. not sure about england but before the 80's most people rarely camped more then a few days in most places which might work for ya! Plus yad really see some great places!
Back to top Go down
LondonTraveller
G'al
G'al
LondonTraveller

PostSubject: Re: Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site   Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 4:57 pm

cheers prince! thats wots on me mind, place 2 place 2 nites max. This is the first time i havent travelled in winter. cant wait for spring
Back to top Go down
canchito
Sarog
Sarog

PostSubject: Re: Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site   Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site EmptyThu Nov 25, 2010 4:50 pm

I've only just noticed this thread, I know its a bit late! I was thinking the same myself and I'm sure that if we got enough gay travellers together who wanted to leave the pressures of family and creata a gay owned site we could do so. I wonder if we can get it thru a charity as a sort of "safe-house" style site.
The only issue I have is how do we keep the wider Traveller community from finding out what type of site it is? Do we make it along the lines of a transite site with similar rules or do we make it completely private and a permanent site with security etc?
I'd be more than willing to live on such a site. I'm currently seeking compensation from my doctor for molesting me when I was a kid, he was found guilty in october, if I win then perhaps I can afford to buy the land. I'll keep you posted.
Back to top Go down
Paddyindublin
Sarog
Sarog
Paddyindublin

PostSubject: Re: Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site   Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site EmptyFri Nov 26, 2010 5:35 am

Very sorry to hear of your experience, it must be a tough load to carry.

Id love to be on a site and not have to worry about people getting upset that I actually fancy a man. Would a gay site not divide us more? After all were no different. But I do get the point and I'm sure it would be a loved place by many.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site   Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site Empty

Back to top Go down

Gay Travellers Halting/ Transit Site
Page 1 of 1