LGBT Pavee Support Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
LGBT Pavee Support Group

A forum for LGBTQ members of the Irish Travelling and Roma Community, those that support there right of expression and wish to construct a way to mediate between the community, culture and sexual identity.Feel free to chat, commune, seek and give advice.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ever been ashamed to be a traveller

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
LondonTraveller
G'al
G'al
LondonTraveller

Ever been ashamed to be a traveller Empty
PostSubject: Ever been ashamed to be a traveller   Ever been ashamed to be a traveller EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 4:09 pm

I have and i feel sad at that now. When i was younger, i was ashamed of me background, i never saw the good qualities of it, as parts of me family became settled and some not, didnt know where i was really, and when u r younger u wanna belong.aS i got older, i got more confidence about who i was n where i come from. perhaps me story is different to some on here as i mixed with both travellers and non travellers from an early life. but have u ever denied or been ashamed of being a traveller? just interested, no judgement
Back to top Go down
Guiney
Sroidʹan lask
Sroidʹan lask
Guiney

PostSubject: Re: Ever been ashamed to be a traveller   Ever been ashamed to be a traveller EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 4:55 pm

Never of my cultur but of some of its ppl. When ya hear of fueds broken pubs stealin gawken when some dnt need to refuge probs and all that its hard not 2 fel like ur being paintd with the same brush.
Back to top Go down
LondonTraveller
G'al
G'al
LondonTraveller

PostSubject: Re: Ever been ashamed to be a traveller   Ever been ashamed to be a traveller EmptyFri Oct 16, 2009 12:56 pm

thats right, theres good n bad all groups of ppl
Back to top Go down
Jmcdonagh
Sarog
Sarog

PostSubject: Re: Ever been ashamed to be a traveller   Ever been ashamed to be a traveller EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 4:24 pm

Ya. Thnk theres a part of us al that want to be liked. Iv changed tho. Well I still want to be liked (haha) but ths time for 'me'
Back to top Go down
LondonTraveller
G'al
G'al
LondonTraveller

PostSubject: Re: Ever been ashamed to be a traveller   Ever been ashamed to be a traveller EmptySat Oct 17, 2009 4:33 pm

nice one jmc
Back to top Go down
The_prince
Sarog
Sarog

PostSubject: Re: Ever been ashamed to be a traveller   Ever been ashamed to be a traveller EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 4:46 am

I have being. With so much goin on has anyon not being?
Back to top Go down
LondonTraveller
G'al
G'al
LondonTraveller

PostSubject: Re: Ever been ashamed to be a traveller   Ever been ashamed to be a traveller EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 3:37 pm

to me its frightening at the speed that travellers ways seem to be disapearing.
Back to top Go down
LondonTraveller
G'al
G'al
LondonTraveller

PostSubject: Re: Ever been ashamed to be a traveller   Ever been ashamed to be a traveller EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 3:45 pm

meaning, a lot of the positive things we brought to a place when stopping over is now not feasible or trdiditional services we provide r not needed now, this highlits to many ppl the negative side of travellers only. i hope this makes sense??
Back to top Go down
Yadneverguess
Sarog
Sarog
Yadneverguess

PostSubject: Re: Ever been ashamed to be a traveller   Ever been ashamed to be a traveller EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 3:48 pm

Totally feel the same! Some hav no place now while others are just forgotten. Whts evryone doing to change that?
Back to top Go down
LondonTraveller
G'al
G'al
LondonTraveller

PostSubject: Re: Ever been ashamed to be a traveller   Ever been ashamed to be a traveller EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 3:55 pm

i always been self emplyed. but where i am u cannot go calling i dont know if its illegal or not but plenty ppl have signs on the door saying no selling of no services and all that

most the travellers i know hide the fact they r travellers to get work, like havin a landline answered by a company instead of mobile only etc etc

ill always be on the road to certain degree

things r changin thats 4 sure but i dont know how we can turn this all around or where its heading, please god, we dont lose it all
Back to top Go down
Yadneverguess
Sarog
Sarog
Yadneverguess

PostSubject: Re: Ever been ashamed to be a traveller   Ever been ashamed to be a traveller EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 4:05 pm

Times have changed and we hav to chang to too survive. For the rest if its important to us we'l keep it :-)
Back to top Go down
LondonTraveller
G'al
G'al
LondonTraveller

PostSubject: Re: Ever been ashamed to be a traveller   Ever been ashamed to be a traveller EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 4:39 pm

hmmmm

well to me, all of its important, and i wanna keep all the ways goin but the powers that be seem determined to stop our way of life, and they seem to be success at it
Back to top Go down
Yadneverguess
Sarog
Sarog
Yadneverguess

PostSubject: Re: Ever been ashamed to be a traveller   Ever been ashamed to be a traveller EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 4:47 pm

Na some trads should go. Rememberd ya but left behind. The social rite for aman to ht his wife is acceptd as a old way. That should go. Its almost gone too.
Back to top Go down
LondonTraveller
G'al
G'al
LondonTraveller

PostSubject: Re: Ever been ashamed to be a traveller   Ever been ashamed to be a traveller EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 4:54 pm

do u honestly think someone would vote to keep a tradition of hitting their wife???
Back to top Go down
Yadneverguess
Sarog
Sarog
Yadneverguess

PostSubject: Re: Ever been ashamed to be a traveller   Ever been ashamed to be a traveller EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 5:37 pm

No curse not but u did say 'all'. I just usd that as an example of how our change isnt always a bad thing and in a way is helpin.
Back to top Go down
LondonTraveller
G'al
G'al
LondonTraveller

PostSubject: Re: Ever been ashamed to be a traveller   Ever been ashamed to be a traveller EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 5:59 pm

.........right.................
Back to top Go down
LondonTraveller
G'al
G'al
LondonTraveller

PostSubject: Re: Ever been ashamed to be a traveller   Ever been ashamed to be a traveller EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 2:40 pm

I agree with Guiney, more ashamed of some of the ppl rather than the race as a whole

Anyone else got real life stories?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ever been ashamed to be a traveller   Ever been ashamed to be a traveller Empty

Back to top Go down

Ever been ashamed to be a traveller
Page 1 of 1