LGBT Pavee Support Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
LGBT Pavee Support Group

A forum for LGBTQ members of the Irish Travelling and Roma Community, those that support there right of expression and wish to construct a way to mediate between the community, culture and sexual identity.Feel free to chat, commune, seek and give advice.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Internal community discrimination

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris2011

Internal community discrimination Empty
PostSubject: Internal community discrimination   Internal community discrimination EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 10:45 am

Hi all,

Like you I hope it won't be long before the wider public afford people in the traveling community equality and respect as readily and without suspicion as they do their own. But I'm saddened having read this man's story in the article below and I wonder if the traveling community today mirror the above hope by way of affording equality and respect to its minorities within? Please enlighten me.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2011/1126/1224308163780.html

What has been your experience? How are you treated? Are you out to people within your community? If it's not easy to be out how do you find romance/relationships? Are LGBT travelers generally open to dating buffers? If so, is that because it's hard to find a partner in the traveling community? Or would you feel, from experience maybe, that it may too hard for buffers to relate to your culture and life experience? I'm genuinely interested.

Thanks for any feedback :-)
Back to top Go down
Chris2011

PostSubject: Re: Internal community discrimination   Internal community discrimination EmptyThu Jan 05, 2012 1:24 pm

Over 30 views but no replies? Hmmm.
Back to top Go down
moniker
Sroidʹan lask
Sroidʹan lask
moniker

PostSubject: Re: Internal community discrimination   Internal community discrimination EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 12:17 pm

It can take people time to warm up especially if they dont know you. It is also a lot of heavy questions in one message...

What has been your experience?
Like most peoples it has being mixed. Some great moments but a lot of sadness.

How are you treated?
Mixed as well. People can just ignore it for the sake of it. The bad days outnumber the good ones.

Are you out to people within your community?
Only a few.

If it's not easy to be out how do you find romance/relationships?
Online sites are great! Pubs less so as less face it people arent always ok with having a tinker in the pub.

Are LGBT travelers generally open to dating buffers?
Depends on the family. I know loads who are. Has to be openess on both sides.

If so, is that because it's hard to find a partner in the traveling community?
Itd be very hard and complicated as youd expect.

Or would you feel, from experience maybe, that it may too hard for buffers to relate to your culture and life experience?
No as I can relate to the settled community even though there can be a lot of hassle between us. Down to the individual.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Internal community discrimination   Internal community discrimination Empty

Back to top Go down

Internal community discrimination
Page 1 of 1