LGBT Pavee Support Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
LGBT Pavee Support Group

A forum for LGBTQ members of the Irish Travelling and Roma Community, those that support there right of expression and wish to construct a way to mediate between the community, culture and sexual identity.Feel free to chat, commune, seek and give advice.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Thinking about stereotypes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Suibleen
Sarog
Sarog
Suibleen

Thinking about stereotypes Empty
PostSubject: Thinking about stereotypes   Thinking about stereotypes EmptyTue Sep 22, 2009 3:01 am

Looking at the forum I think its quite interesting at the range of people already on here. And so far people aren't what I expected so much so its got me thinking about stereotypes, how they change and what, according to general social views were supposed to be like.

Traveller stereotypes:
Dirty, uneducated, beg, steal, higher regards for horses then children etc

Newer Traveller stereotypes:
Sun bed fanatics, large earrings, transit vans, unemployed etc

Gay and lesbian stereotypes:
Effeminate males, “butch” females, fashion savvy, lisp, promiscuous, men haters etc

For me being a Gay Traveller in the city is something of two halves (I can only imagine what it's like for people living in the countryside). While I can find people and moments of deep and genuine acceptance I often find myself having to face the presence of stereotypes and there consequences (and sadly at times my own misconceptions).

Though I wonder if this can work in our advantage (?). Being in general ignored from traveller information and overlooked by most gay and lesbian support groups the ideas of what a gay traveller doesn't seem to of set yet. So hopefully we can change it.

Looking at the list above it's not looking good is it. So I'm wondering why do you think we use stereotypes? Are they useful? Do they in their own way represent the truth? Or is it all just misinformation for the ignorant? Or is it just easier to believe then ask these questions?
Back to top Go down
The_prince
Sarog
Sarog

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about stereotypes   Thinking about stereotypes EmptySun Sep 27, 2009 12:08 pm

Sum r sum dnt sum do sum wnt. Just name as its easy and sumtimes ther tru but mstly nt. Easy to say thn fnd out
Back to top Go down
LondonTraveller
G'al
G'al
LondonTraveller

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about stereotypes   Thinking about stereotypes EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 2:35 pm

why do we use stereotypes? I dont think we choose it, we have been taught it for years n years n years so we r progrmed. Men shud be this, womens that, etc. If u got yer own mind then if u come across someone that dont fit yer sterotypes in your day to day life, its yer business to have a think about that. i do it and i TRY to be not judgment, im no angel beleive me tho lol
Back to top Go down
Jmcdonagh
Sarog
Sarog

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about stereotypes   Thinking about stereotypes EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 5:11 pm

Lol dnt think any of us are angels lol but I do try too! Think ur right its bein conditiond and as Travellers we no how wrong they can be and how damagin. Even if ther r cases where its true they rarely are. Guess its up2each of us to deal with it on our own x
Back to top Go down
LondonTraveller
G'al
G'al
LondonTraveller

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about stereotypes   Thinking about stereotypes EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 2:09 pm

jmc u spk a lotta sense man imho
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about stereotypes   Thinking about stereotypes Empty

Back to top Go down

Thinking about stereotypes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
LGBT Pavee Support Group :: Yellow (sunlight)-
Jump to: