LGBT Pavee Support Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
LGBT Pavee Support Group

A forum for LGBTQ members of the Irish Travelling and Roma Community, those that support there right of expression and wish to construct a way to mediate between the community, culture and sexual identity.Feel free to chat, commune, seek and give advice.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Employment

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Karavan_casey
Sarog
Sarog

Employment Empty
PostSubject: Employment   Employment EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 11:07 am

I was on a thread and was typing about volunteering and things like that and it got me thinking. What's everyone job/ area of work?

I know we have one or two members that are young and with the current economic situation not everyone may be working but never the less I'm curious.

I'm currently in full time collage half way through becoming a Teacher (after a few years unemployed and a CE scheme). I cant help but notice that most Travellers end up working in community based stuff. Like Youth workers, CE schemes and Traveller organisations themselves (though to be honest I'm more then a little annoyed that there isn't a very strong Traveller presence on most management).

So what's your job? Do people find its difficult finding a job? (As like myself many people drop out early) or is the addictive social payments enough to get you by without much effort/looking for a job?

(ill complain about lasy people another time lol)

I also have to admit Im more then a little worried that when it comes to work that once any perspective employer might know of my cultural background or sexuality/gender I might get a bit of hassel.

Thats another days thread tho Smile
Back to top Go down
princess22
Sarog
Sarog
princess22

Employment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Employment   Employment EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 2:42 pm

I'm employed and I work hard but I worked even harder finding this job in the first place. I have to be honest I don't really think it was the economic down turn or anything like that (which usually I would be the first to blame) but discrimination definitely had a bit to do with it.

One of the interviews I went to even stressed my surname (a popular traveller name in this region) so much so I deliberately avoided anything to do with my background or making reference to some of the traveller organisations I have volunteered with.

Were getting there. If even by chance, as many people still have the idea that Travellers, especially female, have little or no interest in education so aren't even a possibility when it comes to employment. Very frustrating!
Back to top Go down

Employment
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
LGBT Pavee Support Group :: Blue (Harmony)-
Jump to: