LGBT Pavee Support Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
LGBT Pavee Support Group

A forum for LGBTQ members of the Irish Travelling and Roma Community, those that support there right of expression and wish to construct a way to mediate between the community, culture and sexual identity.Feel free to chat, commune, seek and give advice.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sharing cant/kant

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Griwog
Sarog
Sarog
Griwog

Sharing cant/kant Empty
PostSubject: Sharing cant/kant   Sharing cant/kant EmptyWed Oct 28, 2009 6:35 pm

do people feel guilty sharing the lingo? i know its not supossed to eb shared with the buffers (in a traditional sense of the word) but what about now? Are you okay with other people knowing it? does it ahve to be a secret of can we just use it as a lingo?

I think so
Back to top Go down
Abhainn

Abhainn

Sharing cant/kant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sharing cant/kant   Sharing cant/kant EmptyFri May 07, 2010 9:55 am

As a person with a little knowledge of linguistics and cultural theory I would have a very clinical approach to this subject myself. Also since I clearly don't share the culture there's a huge stumbling block already there in trying to grasp the importance of the language for the community. Academically my concern would be the loss the a linguistic element to the shared community as surely even with no one from outside the Pavee community knowing the language this would play it's part in establishing a "public presence" or "face" to us in the settled community.

I think in the settled community we tend to miss out on the deeper beauty of the Pavee culture by not sharing in language. As I'm sure those from a bilingual familial background can attest to some words especially concepts don't translate at all. This is why even modern Irish (Nua-Gaeilge) uses loanwords like scríobh meaning write from the latin scriptorium (spelling is gone to pott today sorry!) we have words in English from Sanskrit like "aura" or "Karma" which because they don't translate take on different meanings to people here.

Old-Irish or Sean-Gaeilge has lost so much of its meaning as time and new concepts come along what I think would be much more beneficial for future generations of both communities would be for a Traveller or Pavee person with natural understanding of the language could record it's depth and beauty academically. Not to mention this would add significant weight to the cultural identity.

Then again I'm naturally predisposed to curiosity and have my own biases... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://www.nwprideireland.com
canchito
Sarog
Sarog

Sharing cant/kant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sharing cant/kant   Sharing cant/kant EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 4:49 pm

growing up I always got the impression that not speaking our language in public was s sign of shame, the expectation of discrimination and hiding, for me, not sharing equals being marginalised, not a good thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sharing cant/kant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sharing cant/kant   Sharing cant/kant Empty

Back to top Go down

Sharing cant/kant
Page 1 of 1