LGBT Pavee Support Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
LGBT Pavee Support Group

A forum for LGBTQ members of the Irish Travelling and Roma Community, those that support there right of expression and wish to construct a way to mediate between the community, culture and sexual identity.Feel free to chat, commune, seek and give advice.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Craft: Making a Padmaks

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Suibleen
Sarog
Sarog
Suibleen

Craft: Making a Padmaks Empty
PostSubject: Craft: Making a Padmaks   Craft: Making a Padmaks EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 4:25 pm

I rang PAvee Point a while back about this and no one seemed quite sure what I was on about, but I am wondering if anyone has any good recipes for a padmaks? My grandfather used to make them when someone was unwell, but they dont seem overly common. (Herbal pouches for healing/ spiritual help).

Any help oon this and I'd really appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
Paddyindublin
Sarog
Sarog
Paddyindublin

PostSubject: Re: Craft: Making a Padmaks   Craft: Making a Padmaks EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 5:53 pm

I haven't heard that word in a long long time!

Padmaks were/are a little known tool of protection and peace used by some of the Travellers in the Galway area (and perhaps across Ireland). They are in a way herbal pouches (or sometimes purses) filled with herbs and items of a religious nature – aiding sleep as well as a vessel for gathering a sense of protection and safety during the long dark night or weary days. Like your grandfathers uses they could very well be given as gifts to the unwell/cared for.

Basic padmak

• 3×5 light fabric pouch (ie. Muslin)

• Needle and Thread,

• Some wild herbs of a bright virtue (being pretty and smelling nice may be enough but let your intuition guide you)

• A few holy, bits of broken Rosery beads, stone from knock, straw from the Christmas Cradle, A robins feather (from lore robins were the bird that tried to draw the nails from Christs hands and ended up getting a red chest from his blood) and anything else you might find to carry a spiritual connection.

Fill the pouch with herbs, hand sew the opening shut. Don’t pack the pouch too tightly, you want the herbs to have room to move around and release their fragrances. Bless with holy water. Its done.
Back to top Go down
moniker
Sroidʹan lask
Sroidʹan lask
moniker

PostSubject: Re: Craft: Making a Padmaks   Craft: Making a Padmaks EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 12:47 pm

Very cool! An flowers frm our ladys grotto
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Craft: Making a Padmaks   Craft: Making a Padmaks Empty

Back to top Go down

Craft: Making a Padmaks
Page 1 of 1