LGBT Pavee Support Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
LGBT Pavee Support Group

A forum for LGBTQ members of the Irish Travelling and Roma Community, those that support there right of expression and wish to construct a way to mediate between the community, culture and sexual identity.Feel free to chat, commune, seek and give advice.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

HOW to be proud?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Guiney
Sroidʹan lask
Sroidʹan lask
Guiney

HOW to be proud? Empty
PostSubject: HOW to be proud?   HOW to be proud? EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 2:08 am

So ok I keep reading people say be proud of being a traveller and be proud of being gay. So im wonderin how? Is it just a feeling that im supposed to have or a understanding im supposed to get? What do you
Do to make sure you really are proud and not fakin it like the chucky a la shouts some people make? Thank you guys
Back to top Go down
Paddyindublin
Sarog
Sarog
Paddyindublin

HOW to be proud? Empty
PostSubject: Re: HOW to be proud?   HOW to be proud? EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 7:36 am

Surprised this hasn't being answered yet – anyways!

I think being proud is more of a process then an actual act (well maybe a series of acts).

For me being proud of my culture and sexuality means I will not hesitate to share my own experience with those around me, I refuse to be ashamed of the circumstances of my birth and will honour who I am by being truthful, comfortable and happy - in who I am and who I might one day be.

I'm sure you have your own ideas and thoughts on this but this is how I try to keep the pride in who I am:

Don’t change your nature. Now of course this isn't to say we shouldn't grow or move beyond negative things but those positive and loving aspects of who we are should be kept. The old ways may be old but there still ours, they had meaning and deep purpose and I refuse to give them away just to fit into the mould of mainstream notion.

Don’t let people’s opinions get you down.
The argument against intercultural or sexual diversity in who we are is that the purity of the community will be destroyed, and with it our heritage and culture will be tainted or washed away completely.
My thought on this is whats purity?
It’s a well established fact that all cultures are mongrel. Nothings undiluted anymore or ever). Old cultures have emerged creating new ones; even magnificent ones, which cast a shadow over the rest. Ireland was built on the dreams of a long reaching history

Being a Gay Traveller gives you a unique perspective on culture, we should embrace that. Being able to see multiple perspectives makes you more accessible to others, more empathetic, more humane. You cab be diverse, well rounded, and more able to relate to peoples struggles as well as strength.

Don’t feel like you have to pick a side. I hate filling out that stupid census box on applications because of it. Don’t feel like you have to act a stereotypical way just because your a Traveller. Don’t get lost in trying to fill a mold you don’t fit, be yourself.
Sometimes people tell me I am a “buffer” because they think I act like “one”. I think this is deeply limiting and a bit repressive – we should be able to be who we are, regardless if people think. I am fine with having friends, regardless of who they are – its doesn't change who I am or where I cam from. I mean how could it. Getting an education, a job, a bf etc is a part of my life and shouldn't in all logic mean that I'm less a traveller. There is no shame or need to pick a side beyond your own.

I know its a bit ranty – but I hope it helps
Back to top Go down
The_prince
Sarog
Sarog

HOW to be proud? Empty
PostSubject: Re: HOW to be proud?   HOW to be proud? EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 3:17 pm

Pad... i really like the way u think :-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

HOW to be proud? Empty
PostSubject: Re: HOW to be proud?   HOW to be proud? Empty

Back to top Go down

HOW to be proud?
Page 1 of 1