LGBT Pavee Support Group

A forum for LGBTQ members of the Irish Travelling and Roma Community, those that support there right of expression and wish to construct a way to mediate between the community, culture and sexual identity.Feel free to chat, commune, seek and give advice.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Ever get a hydin coz your gay?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
minkar
Sarog
Sarog

PostSubject: Ever get a hydin coz your gay?   Sun May 09, 2010 3:19 pm

As a gay or lbtq traveller have you ever experienced physical voilence? We as a community can be very heavy handed and roudy, like our celtic ansectors and im wondering has anyone ever had any social or personal unrest come around in a agressive way?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hanu Fein
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ever get a hydin coz your gay?   Sun May 09, 2010 4:39 pm

Hi Minkar,

I think it is important to remember that violence happens to all people, it is not a isolated act of aggression or mischanneled anger and frustration, but is something that is common to the human race, however regrettable and undesired.

When it comes to violence on a personal level I was only ever in one mutual altercation, around the age of 12 where I argued with another over the use of a swing... needless to say I lost.

Since then I have had two experiences of physical violence, one in where I was “happy slapped” in the street by a local youth, the other in where I was punched by someone spouting anti gay remarks. The latter resulted in a broken nose and a wounded pride, as well as the lingering worries of a social anxiety.

While my sexuality was directly linked to the event, it was I doubt the cause behind it. People being people, will search out a cause of reason if there's a need.

I was tempted not to respond to this in such an open manner but finally decided that to allow such moments to go undocumented is a loss to us all, and would be easier to sweep beneath the carpet for others.

Sadly the manifestation of frustration in a physical way is a somewhat trend in our larger community, however it is never agreeable and always condoned for being nothing less then totally unacceptable.

It is however reducing itself, as people are finding ways to understand and manage their natural responses as well as becoming more aware that our differences aren't overly different after all.

Thankfully for the lgbt pavee community it does not seem to be presenting itself as an overly strong trend – which I'm sure we are all grateful for.

Hanu
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gaypavee.forumotion.net
Karavan_casey
Sarog
Sarog

PostSubject: Re: Ever get a hydin coz your gay?   Tue May 11, 2010 12:12 pm

i wouldnt say itd be too uncommon fierce ignorant people are everywhere
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ever get a hydin coz your gay?   

Back to top Go down

Ever get a hydin coz your gay?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
LGBT Pavee Support Group :: Orange (Healing)-
Jump to: