LGBT Pavee Support Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
LGBT Pavee Support Group

A forum for LGBTQ members of the Irish Travelling and Roma Community, those that support there right of expression and wish to construct a way to mediate between the community, culture and sexual identity.Feel free to chat, commune, seek and give advice.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Traveller Culture

Go down 
+2
LondonTraveller
A Wandering Minstrel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
A Wandering Minstrel
G'al
G'al
A Wandering Minstrel

Traveller Culture Empty
PostSubject: Traveller Culture   Traveller Culture EmptySat Nov 21, 2009 12:50 pm

Radio one: Programme on Travellers. It's good so far.
Back to top Go down
LondonTraveller
G'al
G'al
LondonTraveller

Traveller Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Traveller Culture   Traveller Culture EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 1:15 pm

is that bbc radio 1, have u got a link to listen again at all?

Cheers
Back to top Go down
PaveePrince
G'al
G'al

Traveller Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Traveller Culture   Traveller Culture EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 3:08 pm

i missed it too, a link would be Brilliant Smile
Back to top Go down
A Wandering Minstrel
G'al
G'al
A Wandering Minstrel

Traveller Culture Empty
PostSubject: radio link   Traveller Culture EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 1:50 am

The show is called 'More than Museums' and the programme about Travellers is called 'James Collins makes a bucket'.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/morethanmuseums/

London, it was on RTE radio1 - I'm not sure if you can listen from across the puddle. Good luck. I'd be interested in other people's comments. I thought it was a good programme, especially hearing Travellers talk about culture.
Back to top Go down
Yadneverguess
Sarog
Sarog
Yadneverguess

Traveller Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Traveller Culture   Traveller Culture EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 5:47 am

thanks for the heads up longford! pity i missed it tho london try sky radio, they have the rtes on them Smile this is what we need! ways that help us move forward but keep the real things alive!
Back to top Go down
A Wandering Minstrel
G'al
G'al
A Wandering Minstrel

Traveller Culture Empty
PostSubject: radio   Traveller Culture EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 6:25 am

Yad, if you follow the link in my previous post and select the programme 'James Collins makes a bucket', you should be able to listen to it online. I think you need realplayer to listen to it. Let me know if you have probs and I can try talking you through it.
Back to top Go down
Guiney
Sroidʹan lask
Sroidʹan lask
Guiney

Traveller Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Traveller Culture   Traveller Culture EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 9:30 am

that was briliant!
Back to top Go down
LondonTraveller
G'al
G'al
LondonTraveller

Traveller Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Traveller Culture   Traveller Culture EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 1:41 pm

do u have the link thats direct to the program as im thick u see and i cant see it. no problem if u havenet
Back to top Go down
Guiney
Sroidʹan lask
Sroidʹan lask
Guiney

Traveller Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Traveller Culture   Traveller Culture EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 2:04 pm

Na your not thick as I had to google it too!
Here you ago: Scroll down a bit to programme three on the page:

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/morethanmuseums/1012976.html

Programme 3: James Collins makes a Bucket - Listen

First broadcast 22nd January, '04

It had become apparent in the 1970s that the Traveller way of life was under serious threat in Ireland. There was a more general drift towards the towns but, in the case of Travellers, this was exacerbated and accelerated because the traditional trade of tin-smithing had become an anachronism - killed off by the ubiquity of plastic. Income was lost and to qualify for social welfare payments a permanent address was a necessity.

For the majority of Travellers today the open road is but a memory. Yet travellers insist they remain different and continue to value their separateness. Besides the tin-smiths, who were a vital part of the rural economy, Traveller musicians like the Keenans and Doran played an important role in the survival of Traditional Music. Travellers had told stories and brought news. They operated as migrant workers before the arrival of mechanisation.

In this programme James Collins, one of the few remaining tin-smiths, makes a bucket while a group of Traveller women discuss the importance of their culture - a culture that is still linked to the notion of the open road, something they all clearly yearn for.
Back to top Go down
LondonTraveller
G'al
G'al
LondonTraveller

Traveller Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Traveller Culture   Traveller Culture EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 2:45 pm

thank u v much Guiney gonna listen 2 that rite now. Thanks
Back to top Go down
LondonTraveller
G'al
G'al
LondonTraveller

Traveller Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Traveller Culture   Traveller Culture EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 5:21 pm

yeh that was good that!
Back to top Go down
Jonnie
Sarog
Sarog

Traveller Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Traveller Culture   Traveller Culture EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 11:30 am

Great!! I can make one not as good as the da but at least it doenst leak much. anyone make horseshoes too?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Traveller Culture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Traveller Culture   Traveller Culture Empty

Back to top Go down

Traveller Culture
Page 1 of 1